Pillows are something that you use daily. You must want to make sure that they are clean and germ-free. And no, we’re not just talking about the pillow cover but the pillow itself. In addition to regularly cleaning your comforter and bedsheets, you should also be focusing on taking care of your pillows and mattress. Especially cushions should be cleaned and washed two to four times a year (Once every four months).
Most pillow styles that come out these days are machine washable, but there are some you need to dry clean only. The content and care tag on the pillow is the best place to start, and there you’ll find all the information on how to wash your pillow. But if you’re still not able to find a step by step guide or need any further help, then today we’ll tell you how to wash the pillow.
Steps to wash fiberfill and down pillow in the washer
If you’re having a fiberfill or down pillow, then you’re lucky because most of the fiberfill and down pillows are machine-friendly, which means you just need to put them in the washing machine for cleaning. But make sure that there are only two pillows at one time in the machine to keep it balanced, which will ensure all-around cleaning of pillows.
While any washing machine will clean your pillow, it’s advised to use front or top loading machines that don’t have an agitator. If you have an agitator-style high loader machine, then you can place the pillow vertically in the tub, to lessen the chance of pillows getting damaged.
In any case, you should also read your pillow’s care label and follow the written directions for the best cleaning without damaging your pillow. But if there’s no tag, or you can’t find instructions, then follow the below-given steps:
- Choose the gentle cycle and use lukewarm water, then add on some cold water to the rinse and spin cycle.
- Now, add a dab of detergent, such as Tide.
- Now, let the pillows dry on low heat and turn them often. You can also put in some dryer balls in the machine to keep pillows plump.
Note: As pillows take more time to dry than regular clothes, there could be musty smells in the pillow. If your pillows are smelling musty after drying, keep them in the sun for a few hours to get rid of that smell.
Steps to wash foam pillows
You can’t put latex/memory foam pillows directly into your washing machines. While foam pillows are dust resistant, it’s still important to wash them regularly.
Before washing, check the cleaning guide on the pillow’s tag or follow the below-given method.
- Put the pillowcases and covers in the machine and choose the normal/casual cycle and use warm water.
- Now, add detergent
- To get rid of dirt and dust on the pillow, you need to vacuum both the pillow sides.
- If you see any soiled areas, clean asap using a cloth dipped in a soap solution.
- Allow the pillow to dry properly before using them back.
Follow the above-given methods to make sure that your pillows are neat and clean.