The world’s largest underwater restaurant is located at the southernmost tip of Norway, which is in Europe. It started welcoming guests to the serene beauty of Northern Sea mixing with thick clouds in the background, on March 20, 2019. You can enjoy environmental designs and marine research while enjoying the delicately artful meal in the restaurant.
The structure of the restaurant
The building is considered an architectural gem. The structure looks similar to a rock formation that is rising out of the sea. Snohetta, the award-winning architectural firm, designed this art installation.
The restaurant is half sunk in the river. The building’s 34 -meter long gigantic form breaks the surface of the water. It also rests directly on the seabed, which is just 5 meters below. The entire structure is built in a way that it can withstand the pressure, and the shock from the rugged sea conditions. The massive window in the restaurant looks like a sunken periscope. It offers the customers with the view of the seabed, which changes throughout the seasons and varying weather conditions.
The view from the gigantic window in the underwater restaurant
The time you step in and until the time you leave the restaurant, there is no chance that you will change your vision from the unique underwater views to anywhere else. Here you go down in the depths of five-meter in the waters without even wearing a diving suit. There is a bar in the mezzanine, where guests can sit calmly before and after their meal.
When you go down to the restaurant, the concept of the ocean view takes a whole different meaning. The huge glass wall gives you a great insight into the hustled-bustled life in the sea. You can also enjoy the different species of fishes that swim nearby, which depends upon the season you visit. You can relish the view of fish species like colorful wrasses, urchins, crabs, spiny dogfish, lobsters, and a variety of seaweed and kelp. Savor the live performance of the roaring and the stormy sea.
Some interesting facts
Here are some interesting facts about this special restaurant
- ‘Under’ – The world’s largest underwater restaurant has a seating capacity of 100 guests, but it usually serves 40 guests.
- This excellent restaurant is not just the largest but also the first underwater restaurant in entire Europe.
- Many marine and biological researchers were involved during the development of this restaurant, to make something that provides enhanced experience of marine life to the guests.
- The restaurant is awarded one star in the prestigious Michelin Guide in the 2020 edition. It is quite honorable in the culinary world.
- Chef Nicolai Ellitsgaard Pedersen and his team serve the 18-course tasting menu along with the wine.
- Researchers working with the restaurant are working on getting trained about the fishes and the animals eaten by the fish.
- On the day of its opening, the restaurant had more than 7,000 reservations, and people had to wait for months to visit the restaurant.
- The restaurant is about an hour and a half drive from the nearest airport in Lindesnes, Norway.
The best way to experience life under the water without actually diving in the water is to visit the restaurant ‘Under’ located in Lindesnes, Norway. The motive stated by one of the founders of the restaurant is to attract tourists from all over the world. You must check out the restaurant on your trip to Norway!